Friday, August 8, 2014

Media Montage Podcast 65: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014 Film)



This week Bruce and Larry take a combative look at Peter Quill, Gamora, Drax, Rocket, and Groot as they guard the galaxy from the threat of Ronan the Accuser. 

The Guardians of the Galaxy are here, and another Marvel Cinematic Universe film is upon us! 

How does GOTG build on the Marvel Cinematic Universe? Is it a worthy entry in the annals of space opera? 

Do Larry and Bruce see eye to eye on this movie? (Hint: One of them loved it, the other? Not so much…)

They debate the merits of GOTG as an action comedy, a space opera, a comic book movie, and what exactly happened with Yondu? Find out in Episode 65 of the Media Montage Podcast as we celebrate the first anniversary of our show!

Our Comics:
Magna Comica:  magnacomica.thecomicseries.com
Brain Teaser Comics:  Brainteasercomics.com

Twitter
@larrykingundead
@otterdisaster


3 comments:

  1. Great episode! I absolutely loved GOTG, but it was cool to get a contrasting view of it. I'm also one of those people that really disliked Man of Steel, which seems to speak more about personal preference than the quality of either movie.

    I think maybe it's harder than we think to distinguish between storytelling elements that are genuinely poorly executed and those that we just so happen to not like.

    I don't like onions on my cheeseburgers, but lots of people do, so I can't really call anchovies a culinary mistake. Putting rocks on cheeseburgers makes them inedible and can be safely assumed as a genuine mistake, but in media I don't know that we have a reliable way to tell onions from rocks.

    All of which is fairly obvious probably, but I find that I forget it pretty easily when confronted w/ media I feel strongly about one way or the other.

    Happy anniversary! Loving the back catalog of episodes, perfect soundtrack for long hours at the drawing board.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah, pardon the onions to anchovies swap, but you get the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I understand what you are saying. Man of Steel was a well crafted film, but it ran counter to most of my tastes, especially when it comes to Superhero films.

    We do tend to give higher regard when we like a piece of art, and we may well overlook flaws for the same reasons. Neither GotG or MoS fall into the 'rocks on cheeseburgers' category of incompetent film making. For that take a look at Snake Eater!

    ReplyDelete